October 8, 2014

Faith & Begorrah; Irish Heritage Night @ GABP

As the 2014 season for the Cincinnati Reds slipped into a death spiral and postseason dreams were dashed, an unwelcome yet sadly familiar sight from the dark days of the Griffey Junior Era greeted me on the occasion of Irish Heritage Night at the ol' ball orchard:




The concession stands nearest my section of seats were closed.  It was a veritable ghost town.  With the kiddies back in school and temperatures/humidity levels being higher than at any point all summer long, fans stayed away in droves on this muggy Friday evening:





I hated to see this, mostly for my close personal friend Robert (he let's me call him "Bob") Castellini, the honorable principle owner of the Mighty Redlegs.  The big guy is doing just about everything he can to put a winning team on the field.  The Butcher of Porkopolis (aka Doc Hollywood) is the devil in this disastrous detail of dismal disappointment.  As rough as things had gotten on the field, it did not help matters that the crew working the scoreboard had given up on the season:




It's hard to discern in the photo above, but the guys in the scoreboard paired up Brandon Phillips name/stats with a photograph of Jay Bruce.  Next they paired up Brayan Pena's data with a photo of Kristopher Negron (below):




Annnnnd then they misidentified that night's opponent - the New York Mets - as "Chicago:"




Twice:




The Promotions Department deserve their own promotion for that night's giveaway:




A Mr Redlegs moustache affixed to a strand of green Mardi Gras-style beads.  





Jiggers!  There, I said it.  I can say it because I'm half Irish.

The Savior Jay Bruuuuuce was bathed in glorious light when the game started:





Alas, his teammates were not so righteous and they soon fell behind the Metropolitans.  I should have been tipped off, earlier, that things were not going to go well for the Redlegs that night when the musical fare at Frisch's (I had the Super Big Boy and fries and a vile non-Coca-Cola soft drink) was Halloween-themed.  Among the usual "Monster Mash" and assorted ubiquitous selections - including two from the Ghostbusters soundtrack (this and this) - I was subjected to the theme from the film Halloween (Please, I'm trying to eat here!) and a bizzaro world mash-up of The Doors' "Riders on the Storm" and Blondie's "Rapture" that goes a little something like this.  It nearly made me want to push away my Super Big Boy and go out into the parking lot in frustration and eat a Mercury.  Maybe a Subaru, too.

Fortunately, the music at the ballpark was much better that night.  Of course, the players' walk up music is unfailingly horrendous, but we loyal fans were treated to multiple popular - but standard - offerings from U2 and The Cranberries between innings, as well as a two rockin' selections from THE WHO (English music on Irish Heritage Night?  Faux pas.); "WGFA" during a lengthy replay and, oddly, the not-so-family-friendly opening verse to "5:15"   Apparently, the world has forgotten about The Chieftains.

I also witnessed Irishman Jack Hannahan's first RBI of the 2014 season.  Jack is one guy who knows how to wear his uniform (playing first base, below):




The red socks with green uniform evidently caused some disagreement among the faithful.  I approve of this combination for the Redlegs.  Alone among so much awful walk-up music that Reds players inflict upon their fans these days, Jack Hannahan's choice of music is but one of two examples that I approve (the other being Ryan Ludwick's "Brass Monkey").

That Friday night game coincided with National Cheese Pizza Day.  Thus, I indulged:




A slice of Buddy LaRosa's finest.

Speaking of food.....  I savagely consumed my Super Big Boy and fries at 4pm that afternoon.  The glacial pace of pounding that the Mets applied to the Reds was deceptive to my appetite.  I found myself becoming famished during the 4th inning but, I thought to myself, it's too early for me to be this hungry again.  I then realized that it was 9pm..... with another 5 innings to slog through.  On the drive home after the Friday Night Fireworks presented by Rozzi's, I was again feeling hongray.  I checked my watch.  It was midnight already.  I hit up the Steak n' Shake drive thru for a chocolate shake.  These are the wages of interminably lopsided ball games.




14-5.  The Metropolitans pounded out nearly 20 hits.  Coulda been worse; the Mets left 13 runners on base.

Wait a minute?  Did somebody say fireworks?  I know what you're thinking;  I haven't yet figured out the night settings on my Android Galaxy S9000 and so I did not capture any decent photos of the fireworks.  Aha!  In this, you are mistaken!














Afterward, the ballpark was bathed in an ethereal half-light.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews