October 14, 2013

Heavy Artillery vrs. Food

Over the past 6 weeks my Android was busy at work taking, mostly, photographs of my visits to assorted Tri-State Area eateries.  What first caught the attention of my Samsung-sourced R2 unit was what - at first glance - appeared to be the latest innovation from the Golden Arches;  The McBar & McLounge:



R2 energetically beeped and blipped thinking the subject matter in the above photo was a new line of Ronald McDonald premium bourbon.  Turns out, it was a selection of flavoring syrups.  Funny way to package 'em!

Back in O-town, I spotted this sign on a sushi joint across the street from the world's greatest Parish Center:



Someone must have been deep into a fifth of Ronnie Mac's straight bourbon whiskey when they created the hours of operation sign above.

In the hours leading up to the Cincinnati Reds 2013 N.L. Wild Card game against the Pirates of Iron City, I preemptively went out for a celebratory steak dinner.  Imagine my surprise when I quenched my playoff thirst with an ice cold Coca-Cola and discovered this unusual Rorschach pattern of perspiration on the napkin under my glass:



Looks like a smiley face to me!  Surely the baseball gods were smiling upon my Redlegs that night, favoring them with nine innings of horsehide glory.  Don't call Dusty "Shirley."

My enthusiastic server brought me an unsolicited second Coca-Cola, working diligently to eke out an additional 2% gratuity out of me.  When later she returned to see that I hadn't touched the second Coke, she bubbly axed me if I would like to have a "to go" cup for my Coca-Cola.  Yes I would!  Here's what she bought me:



There appeared to be a discrepancy in volume capacity.  My server's additional 2% gratuity suddenly was in serious doubt.

Following the pathetic collapse of Johnnie B "Dusty" Baker's Summer Soldiers and Sunshine Patriots, I consoled (or should that read "consouled"?) myself with some chicken and waffles:



The chicken wasn't quite equal to the waffles, but can we not secure bi-partisan agreement that it's hard to surpass a good waffle?

Contrary to perception, I have not spent every waking hour over the past several weeks stuffing my face in restaurants.  I spent the better part of one afternoon cooling my heels in the Jeep dealership's service bay:



Finally, below, in September I took a clandestine spy photo from the MINI Cooper Mobile Tactical Unit of Mr B and Dr James Thomas, D.D.S. (ret.) sharing reminiscences of their glory days as student-athletes and gentleman scholars wearing with pride the red-and-white of Miami University from a half-century before.




While You Were Out... for the past 50 years!



I learned from Johnny Carson the old comedy maxim If you buy the premise, you buy the bit.   That expression of comedic theory, probably, has its roots in vaudeville.  This principle certainly applies to the most iconic element of Doctor Who, the bigger-on-the-inside time travelling conveyance known as the TARDIS ("disguised" as a Sixties-era British police call box).

Here, from 1977, the fourth Doctor explains the trans-dimensional engineering behind the bigger-on-the-inside aspect of the TARDIS.  Perhaps this is what my steak house server had in mind when she brought me the too-small to-go cup?

Viewers of Doctor Who never tire of seeing the reactions of the unsuspecting when they discover this trans-dimensionalism.

The most recent companion threw viewers, and The Doctor, a smaller-on-the-outside curveball when she first encountered the TARDIS during last year's Christmas Day special episode, "The Snowmen."

1 comment:

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews