February 26, 2014

Spring (Or Something Spring-Like) Is In The Air

On routine patrol this past Saturday in the TDS MINI Cooper Mobile Tactical Unit, I observed the civilian population of Miami out in force, motivated by the first balmy air of the season, partaking in liquid refreshments and light music in the great outdoors.  As my mission had me engaged in action all day long, I had the opportunity reconnoiter some of the same map coordinates multiple times.  Pausing briefly at the four-way checkpoint at Church and Campus, windows down, a gathering of an estimated 8,000 undergraduates were enjoying the soothing tones of something my accompanying scout - an unnamed source deep within the hallowed halls of THS - informed me is colloquially known as "Fall Out Boy."  For a moment, I wasn't certain if my scout was referring to an individual artist, a musical band or whether a Miamian, in full-on drunken stupor, had just plunged from a second story window.  Afraid it may have been the third possibility, I gave my scout orders to move on, double-time. [Oddly, my strategic information super highway web browser filters out any information regarding this hep-cat band.  You'll have to research it on your own time.]  Long gone are the days when students appreciated the more sophisticated, riot-squad inviting sounds of The Cult and the Beastie Boys.  Kids these days, they don't know how good they're not having it.  A few 0-hundred hours later, the same scene had changed, remarkably:




It looked as if a beer truck exploded in the yard.

Years ago, early one Sunday morning, I witnessed a similar scene of hops-induced desolation on Bishop Street at the former grand residence of the Forshey family.  I have long regretted not circling around to get a photo, it had to be seen to be believed.  It looked like three beer trucks and a furniture store exploded in Beth's former yard.

If you examine the photo above in close detail, you will note the presence of two - possibly three - students sitting quietly amid the ruins of their once-glorious party empire.  What you cannot see, just off camera to your left, another party raged across Campus Street and on the corner of Church opposite the photo above, a second soiree was boiling over.  Methinks the scene depicted above had been forcibly shut down by the local constabulary.  The undergrads huddled together, above, appear to have the spectre of court-date despair hanging over their groggy skulls.  Wait 'till they sober up and the realization of withering parental sanction besets their conscience.  Rank amateurs!


*********

Continuing with our theme, the onset of Spring brings with it the start of baseball, in the form of Spring Training, and the Kentucky Derby Trail.  Steve Davidowitz of ESPN.com posted this column last week highlighting the connection between Our National Pastime and The Sport of Kings.  Bill Finley, also of ESPN.com, followed with his thoughts on how the two sports have diverged over time (included here primarily for it's passing inclusion of Keeneland as one of the sport's shining lights). 

*********

In the most important news of the day, I successfully ordered my Reds Opening Day tickets his morning!  Thus, Spring officially arrives on the day those tickets appear in my mailbox via USPS black magic/red ink.  I was unable to buy my usual Opening Day/playoff seats in the Sun Deck as tickets were flying off the shelves.  Look for me in the Mezzanine! [That would be a great title for a baseball fan's memoir.]

Speaking of Reds baseball, the Mighty Redlegs will be on the MLB Network today at 5pm in their Cactus League opener versus those dastardly Indians of Cleveland.

Roll the credits!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews