February 5, 2014

The Throes of Service Department Despair

I recently spent an hour in the service department for routine maintenance on the Main Battle Tank.  While there, I observed a fellow patron experience a psychological phenomenon which I have identified as The Three Stages of Service Department Despair. Look for my peer-reviewed article in next month's issue of The Journal of Automotive Disorders and Affiliated Mechanical-based Neuroses (or JADAMN[!]).  Note that I have obscured both the face of the patron under observation as well as any identifying logos which might identify the dealership as it is not my intention to make light of this unfortunate chap nor suggest this specific dealership is any better/worse at providing its customers with timely and efficient service.  

Stage 1:  Contemplation


I wonder how much this will cost me and how quickly I can get out of here?

Stage 2:  Resignation


This is taking longer than I figured, it must be worse than I expected.  Looks like I'm going to have to skip lunch today.

Stage 3:  Capitulation


I wonder if the bank will allow me to take out a fourth mortgage in order to pay for this vehicular disaster?

Last summer I found myself in the same service department (Hey, $13 oil changes.  How can I pass that up?) and observed a father-son crime-fighting duo who, evidently, brought the Batmobile in for service.  Batman was engrossed in watching a filmed record of his exploits saving Gotham as, from my vantage point, all I could hear were explosions, squealing tires, police sirens and gun fire.  Meanwhile, back on the floor, Superboy had fully succumbed to the Kryptonite of service department boredom.  



It would have been hilarious if it weren't such a stark example of parental indifference.  Hey pops, put the smartphone down and talk to your kid about the Super Friends!

*********

For those of you with access to the MLB Network, tomorrow night (Thursday) at 9 pm they'll feature Johnny Bench in a sit-down interview for their My Most Memorable Game program.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews